The Military CRapitalism Field Trip – North Adelaide
How South Australia became the Military State and how that’s connected to climate justice and the militarisation of migration.
Live at 9.45 Adelaide, 9.15 Queensland time, 10.15 AEDT
#CRapitalism #notDefence #disarmunis #warprofiteers #defenceexports #toxicSAS #NoWarNoWarming #divestfromwar #CRapitalism
9.15 am pick up at Mawson Lakes Train Station
- or by arrangement with Margie at 0403214422 Margie
9.30 a.m. meet with vehicles at 42nd Street Cafe Mawson Lakes
9:45 a.m. proceed to Mawson Lakes industrial Technology Park
MAWSON LAKES INDUSTRIAL PARK
- The British Skynet 5 Spy Station,
- Skynet is part of the #FiveEyes operations – the 5 English language nations arrange to spy on each others populations for each other. Pine Gap is Australia’s contribution.
“This is vital because what it does is extend the UK’s ability to communicate with its forces in the Indian Ocean and the Asia Pacific region.” [Military operations]Dr Davis said the facility would be beneficial to Australia as it looked to expand its own military communications.”
- Military Contractors Codan and SAAB, Lockheed Martin’s old place (they have since 2017 moved their operation to the Edinburgh Defence Precinct),
- All are supported by the military’s client university, UniSA #disarmunis
10.45 proceed to Lefevre Peninsula Techport
Sign Up Here 9.30-12.30
LEFEVRE PENINSULA: TECHPORT
- 12 New subs and the submarine corporation – Collins and the new Naval “Attack Class” submarines.
- The Boondoggle of the Century So Far : Why the Submarines and other big projecst are #NotDefence.
- $100 Billion build + run/maintenance cost [50/50] = $20 million per electorate per year for 35 years.
- Austal maintains the current fleet of Offshore Patrol Boats in Cairns. These have been used in the process of militarising migration and so called ‘boarder control’
- Austal thought it had scored with part of a new https://www.austal.com/news/austal-drops-anchor-adelaide – but this changed when they couldn’t agree on how much money everybody should make
- “Adelaide-based Saab Australia was selected to provide the combat management system on the Offshore Patrol Vessels, creating hundreds of high-tech defence jobs.” – as well as Hunter Class Frigates.
- Other private contractors captured by the lucrative military market.
- All supported by the TAFE sitting in the midst. #disarmunis
11.00 Techport for Shipbuilding and Osborne Naval Shipyard
12.30 Finish – Coffee and Lunch
1.30 – 3.30 – Some other fun creative work on the streets of Adelaide aimed at pushing military careers on young people.
Field Trip Leaders – Us and You
Quaker Peri Coleman who has been horrified at the rise of military CRapitalism in the Northern burbs of her town.
Margie Pestorius from Wage Peace is organising and will link the locations to the story of militarism in the rest of Australia. See this website for more information 🙂
AND we will take your information from the group – bring your stories.
Sign Up Here 9.30 – 12.30 Thursday
#notDefence #disarmunis #warprofiteers #defenceexports #toxicSAS
@cpyne @marisepayne @stevenciobo
@warresistersint @wagepeaceau @caatUnis @caatUK
Background and Links
Why the SUBS program is a huge waste of money
SA Government Propaganda
Offshore Patrol Vessels
The build program for Australia’s new fleet of Offshore Patrol Vessels will commence in 2018 at the nation’s world-class Osborne Naval Shipyard, located in Adelaide.
The OPVs are an important first step in Australia’s continuous naval shipbuilding strategy, with construction commencing in Adelaide, before transferring to Western Australia when the Future Frigate program begins in South Australia in 2020.
Following a competitive evaluation process, the Australian Government selected Lurssen of Germany as the successful designer of the OPVs. Lurssen will partner with Adelaide-based ASC to build the first two OPVs and Perth-based Austal and Civmec to construct the remaining 10 new vessels.
The program is estimated at around $4 billion and will create more than 400 jobs, plus additional supply chain opportunities for South Australian businesses.
Adelaide-based Saab Australia was selected to provide the combat management system on the OPVs, creating hundreds of high-tech defence jobs.
Twelve vessels will be built in total to replace the 13 existing Armidale Class patrol boats. The OPVs will enhance the Australian Defence Forces’ capacity to support border security, maritime resource protection and military patrol and response operations.
For further information please direct all enquiries to David Eyre, Director Maritime, Defence SA. Tel: +61 8 8463 7161 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Offshore Patrol Vessels/ Saab
Richard Marles Shadow Minister for Defence – @richardmarlesMP ‘s take on Defence procurement: #bipartisanbullshit
Osborne Naval Shipyard
CRapitalism tour notes – Pdf
Osborne Naval Shipyard
St Kilda Antenna site
Defence Landing Pad
Tonsley Innovation Precinct
Test and Training Areas